Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Comfort and Bonding

Surely, we've all known someone with Cancer. When you say that someone you know has cancer, everyone has a story about someone they know having cancer as well.
It's not that you mind hearing the stories, but you feel like it trivializes what you're living through in that moment.
I know it's a coping mechanism, a way to feel connected... "Hey I know someone too," therefore we are connected in some way.

People often ask me what they can do for my parents. The automatically want to give them gift cards to go out to eat... and while that's nice, it's a bit impractical at this point. You see the kind of cancer that my dad has causes nausea, and he really only eats well enough for a trip out to a restaurant in the 4-5 days that follow a dose of intravenous nausea medicine. The other times the three people in the house (Mom, Dad, and Grandma) piecemeal. They eat what they have in the house, because you are never able to gauge what Dad's going to be able to eat, or how much.

But, food is a comfort, so it's natural to want to send or give a gift of food.

I guess both things... your stories about knowing someone with cancer, and the gifts of food, are ways of giving comfort. Food is comfort, bonding is comfort, and even though it may seem at the time to be trivializing the situation, or impractical it's so welcomed. Just knowing that someone cares enough to offer those two things, really makes our family feel cared for.

I guess in a random way, this post has turned into a Thank you. Thank you for taking the time to show you care, and for making my mom, dad, myself and family, and brother and his family feel cared for.

No comments: